How to Get US Passport


If you want to travel to other countries, you need to have a passport.  A passport is a document that a government agency issues to certify the identity and citizenship of a person. It also serves as a permit issued by his government, allowing her or him to travel abroad.

Getting a passport is easy as long as you have all the requirements ready. There are different procedures in getting a passport for minors and adults. For persons 16 and below who are getting a passport for the first time, the following are the guidelines on how to get a passport.

How To Get Your US Passport

  • The applicant must appear personally at the office where he or she will apply for a passport
  • The child must be accompanied by a parent or a legal guardian. If the child has no identification cards yet, his or her parents must show their own identification cards.
  • A photocopy of the same identification card must be submitted at the time of application
  • Have parental consent to be executed and filed by the parents themselves. The parental consent must be signed by both parents

For young people aged 16 to 17, the following steps must be followed:

  • Fill out the application form for passport
  • He must submit the completed form in person
  • If he is applying for a US passport, he must show proof that he is a citizen of the United States of America
  • He must submit a copy of all photocopied documents like his identification card or that of his parents or guardian
  • Pay the fees and provide one passport photo

To get a US passport, you must submit documents that prove that you are already a U.S. citizen. One proof is your certified birth certificate. This must have the raised and embossed seal, with the registrar’s signature and the date when it was issued. Birth certificates must be issued one year within your birth date. A missing seal or a wrong date of issue or any erroneous data entered may make your birth certificate unacceptable and you will not be qualified for the issuance of the said document.


In case that you cannot produce the primary evidence that you are a citizen of the United States of America, you can submit the following secondary proofs. The first proof that you can use is a combination of your social security card, employment card, credit card and library card. If one of these cards is missing, you cannot use them as proof of US citizenship.

You can also use a person who can identify you and who would attest that you are a citizen of the United States of America. This witness must have been acquainted with the person or more than 24 months; must be a citizen of the United  States; must be able to present his or her identification card; must have his or her own valid ID and an affidavit for witnesses , to be executed in front of the authority concerned.